🔕 🔔

Garlic substitute

asked by RussellW over 4 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

What is the dish you need it for?

All dishes, due to my significant other's very distinct allergy to garlic. Maybe Shallots, onions or garlic might work. Your suggestions?

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

I would also say it depends on the dish, shallots seem like a natural choice. I am not allergic to garlic but I personally do not like the accosting flavor of raw garlic and in return it doesn't like me back. Therefore, I always blanche, roast or pickle it before using it any dish calling for raw garlic. And sometimes, don't tell anyone, if pressed for time, I microwave it for 6-10 seconds to take off the edge.

Possibly leeks or scallions, but it really depends on the dish. Is your SO a vampire?

chives?

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Garlic chives! Here's some info about them:
http://homecooking.about...

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

Woe be unto you. There is none. I have several family members who are allergic. All I can say is to use lots of fragrant herbs and plenty of good quality salt. That will titillate the nose and satisfy the palate, even if it does not replicate garlic.

If he is allergic to garlic, he may also be allergic to shallots, leeks, etc. These plants are all part of the Alium genus and may contain the substance that produces the allergic reaction in your husband. I have two friends with the same problem and have a difficult time cooking for them!

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I agree with lloreen, nothing really replicates the flavor of garlic, but depending on the dish, you could add different herbs or spices to "compensate". It's an interesting challenge and worth experimenting! It could be lime, or bay leaf, or ginger, or who knows -- but I believe that for every dish there will be a new ingredient to redirect from garlic and take it in new direction.

Yeah, my family members who cannot eat garlic also cannot eat onions, shallots, leeks, garlic chives....I am not sure what causes the problem but it is simply not worth the stomach ache to experiment once you have tried a few times. QueenSashy is right, take the dish in a new direction and have fun with other flavorings. If you are doing Asian - go with fresh ginger - for Indian, ginger and or freshly grated turmeric (if you can get it) with toasted and hand-ground cumin and coriander. For Mediterranean, it is surprising how good fresh vegetables and herbs can taste. I believe the secret really is in the quality of the ingredients. A little freshly chopped thyme or oregano, a few tablespoons of fresh mint or basil at the end, and just a light sprinkling of lemon zest. I still miss garlic (sigh) but I can live without it.