🔕 🔔

What is tofurky

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

A vegetarian turkey substitute made from tofu and wheat protein.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Tofurkey is the brand name for the mock turkey -- much mocked, but it's become a classic. Turtle Island Foods, which makes it, also makes tasty vegetarian sausages, deli slices, even pizza.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Per the above answers it's synthetic turkey. I still can't understand why vegetarians want to eat things that resemble real meat but actually aren't. It's like the forbidden fruit or something. If you choose to live on soy products like tofu, well that's fine. But let it be it's own self. I've never ever tasted a fake meat product that actually tasted good, let alone tasted like actual meat. Personally I find the whole idea of pretend foods kind of scary and annoying. Tofu on its own in many asian dishes can be delicious but don't try to turn it into something it's not. And of course that wheat protein will now scare the bejeezus out of the newly converted gluten phobes.