🔕 🔔

Good substitutes for dates ?

Dates are not my favorite thing in the world (I tolerate them but I am happier without them), yet I have several recipes that call for dates that I would like to make. One is a bar type "cookie", one is a pudding type cake served with a custard. I have been thinking about substituting dried apricots but I am afraid they will make the batter too dense as they are more chewy and less creamy than dates. Any ideas on what might be a good substitute? Dried fruit or anything else that behaves similar to dates in a baked batter. Thank you

asked by Droplet over 3 years ago

Maybe try a 70-30 blend of dried apricots and raw cashews or use yacon syrup for sweetness and adjust moisture content with more or less flour to adjust for syrup's moisture in comparison I dates' moisture.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

prunes or figs would be good substitutes

I wouldn't sub apricots. The flavor and texture is quite different. Prunes seem possibly closest to me, but it would help to see the recipes in order to know to what extent the dates are relied on.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Flavor-wise, I would also vote for figs. In cookie batter, many dry fruits behave similarly, so you could sub dates with a dry fruit of your choice, providing that other flavors encourage it. If you are looking for a substitute similar in texture/density, sour cherries, especially plumper ones, might be more creamy and lighter than apricots.