🔕 🔔

ATL

A fin! No, a tin (above), sorry.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Hah!! Good question, ATL! I want to know this too! When I was little I remember my family receiving tins/fins of mixed cookies, each type in its own quadrant...They always seemed totally fine but an answer that's a bit more scientific would be helpful! :)

I don't have a scientific answer, but I can say that I've received a tin of cookies from a friend every holiday season that has a variety of cookies and they are always excellent. The kinds of cookies are usually separated by layers of parchment paper, but there is inevitably some mixing and it never detracts from each cookie's deliciousness.

For gift giving, a mixed tin works. A family friend used to give us a fabulous tin of mixed cookies every Christmas, also mixed inside the tin (not segregated) and they were all just fine. For host storage, however, it makes more sense to store each type of cookie separately.

926ee962 060e 44e6 a1d9 878262f34bf8  image

Only thing I have noticed is when it missed variety, that there is nothing too aromatic usually. Shortbreads, buttercookies, and cresents also involving chocolate versions. So guessing if you don't have anything with too much spice or moisture you should be fine.

97a8ddcf b448 426a 9bd8 eed4b204cdb5  hussie icons chl

I give cookies every year to what has become a short list a very special people. I box them in a holiday box from a craft store (FYI, Photo storage boxes are MUCH cheaper and more likely to be reused!). I use inexpensive treat bags to keep the different kinds of cookies separate. I can't have chocolate chips rubbing up on the 5 spice crackles! That's just my personal, somewhat crazy, preference. I also advise people to store them in the freezer if they won't be eaten in the next few days. I always use real butter (not margarine/shortening) and I find that the flavor will begin to change after a few days.

All of that being said, your idea sounds beautiful but I'm afraid my OCD would never allow it. ;)

ATL

I appreciate all the answers! I grew up with a mother who made enormous amounts of Christmas cookies and packaged them by type in separate tons, each layer separated by wax paper. Then, as suggested above, they were given to friends mixed, but one type per layer separated by wax paper. Glad to fear that still works!

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

If you are especially worried about oils bleeding into each different cookie variety, use wax paper over parchment and put a paper towel in between 2 sheets of wax paper. Beyond cross-contamination, the only worry I might have is that the crisper cookies might soften as they absorb another moist cookie's moisture. But who doesn't love a time where every layer poses a new and different wonderful cookie? I vote for not worrying so much and mix it up! I wish *I* was on your list...

I always keep peanut butter cookies (or anything containing peanut butter) separate from the rest because that flavor really pervades.

Wholefoods user icon

My Baba uses wax paper to layer in addition to using muffin cup liners for each type of cookie or bar. This looks attractive and keeps same types together.