🔕 🔔

Best if used by dates

My baking powder is "best if used by Mar 2006" and who know when the Worcestershire sauce wandered into my life.. 20 years ago perhaps? Am I killing my family?

asked by Demington almost 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

The baking powder won't be effective so I wouldn't use it. If the Worcestetshire sauce has been opened but you don't know when, I wouldn't use it

For the baking powder, test a spoonful in a glass of water. If it still fizzes vibrantly, then it's still good. The Worcestershire sauce should be trashed since it's been ~20yrs.

27f75361 d13f 4476 a4e4 1614fbd82c71  fb avatar

While I certainly would continue using either, I wouldn't panic. Your family was fine before you realized and they'll stay that way. Plus, don't forget, mushrooms are nothing more than fancy fungus spores and mold is a fungus too lol.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I forgot to mention that refrigerating things like Worchester sauce will prolong their useful lives considerably. The cold slows down the loss of flavor, nutrients and oxidization. Won't do anything for baking powder though...