Freezing Passover dishes

Can the following dishes be frozen a week ahead of Passover? Matzo balls, potato kugel and flourless chocolate cake. If "yes" on the matzo balls, should I freeze them dry or in broth? Thanks!

• Posted by: akrainey
  • February 13, 2013

Monita February 13, 2013

It's ok to freeze the matzoh balls. I would freeze them separately from the broth. Also ok to freeze the potato kugel. Make sure it's completely cooled. Wrap in plastic wrap then foil. I wouldn't freeze the flourless cake. Don't think that will hold up well

Mervyn,Lau
Mervyn,Lau February 13, 2013

I would put them in ziplock bags too before freezing them (to retain the moisture).

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I've successfully frozen the knaidlach right in the soup -it really makes life easier. Just make sure to defrost the container of soup in the fridge before transferring it to a pot.

I've had success freezing a few flourless chocolate cakes -" Nana Jose's Chocolate Pecan Cake fromthe NY Times April 1, 2009, and the "Mock Chestnut Torte in Marcy Goldman's " A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking"
p.294 worked beautifuuly. I put a chocolate ganache with coffee and bittersweet chocolate on the rozen cake when i unwrap it the morning I plan to serve it, and it's absolutely perfect
Some flourless chocolate cakes do get dry and crumbly, so I would experiment while you still have time.

ATG117
ATG117 February 15, 2013

I think flourless chocolate cakes freeze wonderfully. Plastic wrap, foil, and then into the really large freezer bags. I agree that you can freeze matzoh balls as well.

ChefJune February 15, 2013

I've been freezing matzoh balls in the chicken soup for decades. It saves space in the freezer, and nothing suffers in the thaw-out. Flourless chocolate cake freezes better than beautifully. I've been known to find them in the freezer close to a year later and they're still fine. (I frost mine with whipped cream.) The Kugel will also freeze very well. I would reheat it from frozen. Don't thaw it out.