🔕 🔔

Make ahead & freezing matzoh balls?

Can matzoh balls be made in advance and frozen, then reheated in the soup? If so, should they be cooked first, or frozen uncooked? Frozen individually, or in the soup liquid? TIA.

asked by Eliana60 about 7 years ago

Joan Nathan, the author of many Jewish cookbooks, said in the New York Times in 2009: "Yes you can freeze them. There are two ways. Either you can cook them and freeze them right in the soup or cook them, drain them, and freeze them on a cookie sheet. When they are frozen just put them in a baggy."

I can say from personal experience that they freeze just fine. I've never tried freezing them separately. We put them into the soup and freeze the whole thing together.

Dinner's ready in a jiffy. ;)

healthierkitchen

I've only frozen them in the soup when there's lots of leftovers, and they are "fine" but I've noticed that sometimes they shred a little around the edges upon reheating. Not a big deal, but not as pretty. I think that Joan Nathan's cookie sheet method would avoid that - what a great idea (if only I had room in my freezer for a cookie sheet of matzo bal)!

jwolfsthal

i don't see any reason why they can't be mixed and then frozen to use when needed. I would bring to fridge temperature before putting in soup.

healthierkitchen

My guess, and it's totally a guess as I've never tried freezing the raw batter, is that this method might make the matzo balls more dense and a bit harder. For some people, this is a plus. I had an aunt who preferred them like golf balls. For those who prefer a fluffier ball, you might lose some lightness. My family recipe has you do the egg whites separately until stiff - just don't see how this could hold up to freezing. Depends on the type of recipe, though!

Sandy Steiner

try freezing them in egg cartons. Nothing sticks together and this doesn't take up whole shelf live a cookie tray.

Liza's Kitchen NYC

I freeze them all the time. Cook them first and they either freeze them on trays first so they keep their shape (and then throw them on ziplocs) or freeze them in the soup. The only thing I've noticed about freezing them in the soup is sometimes they disintegrate a touch when you reheat. This doesn't happen as much if you freeze them separately.