🔕 🔔

Best way to store Parmigiano-Reggiano ?

asked by Jo-ell over 4 years ago

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

For me, if in a brick I keep it wrapped in the fridge. I also shred and keep in a sealed container in the freezer.

IN PAPER! That's how you bought it, right? You can find "Cheese Paper" from Formaticum out there. Wrap, tape it up and refrigerate. Plastic wrap and parmigiano are not especially good friends. I will politely disagree with my colleague bigpan on freezing. Cheese is a living thing. Don't kill it.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Sometimes when I buy cheese wrapped in plastic, I unwap and let it breathe a little, and then rewrap in paper or foil. Also, I would not pre-shred good quality parmesan.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'd buy in larges wedges. (which were vac packed at a Costco).
Cut them in half and use one. I've had failures trying to vac pack it at home--until I wrapped it in a paper towel and then vac packed it.
That's for long term storage in the 'fridge---months, even a year. For short term just parchment.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I'm alwats asking the cheese people for some extra paper to store at home and close with masking tape. I use ziploc bag for short-term storage if I know I'll be using it up. Otherwise, proper cheese paper for me is preferred and never freeeze my cheese, except for parma rinds for soups, stocks & broth.

First off, NEVER use cling wrap with any cheese. If you can, use parchment paper. If not and plastic is the only option, use a zip bag and zip 85% closed to allow room for gas to escape. The shelf life decreases dramatically this way but if you plan your menus appropriately, you will use it.