🔕 🔔

What's the best way to store bread?

asked by Ed over 3 years ago

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Ed - You can't beat freshly baked bread, however sometimes we all have to store the leftovers. I freeze bread in a large ziploc bag in the freezer. Try and remove as much as air from the bag as possible. I'm interested in learning what other food52ers do.

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Here's a whole article on the topic! http://food52.com/blog...

Uhm, I use a bread box. But then I'm always repurposing two day old bread.

I have a few answers for you. First, I live in an extremely dry climate, so a paper bag (even stored inside a bread box, which I use as well) is useful for perhaps the first few hours of a loaf's life. Second, I'm one person and it can take me three days to consume even half a loaf, so I typically hack a loaf in half, double-wrap one in plastic and freeze it, and seal the other in a ziplock bag in the bread box (which in my house serves principally to keep the dogs out of it). Last, if you make your own, and few things are more satisfying, be sure it is completely cool before your seal it in anything.

For a loaf, I slice it, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze in a zip-loc bag. When I need a sandwich, I can pull out just 2 slices.