IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

kumquat quick-jam question

I want to make a quick, bright kumquat "jam" to stir into a dulce de leche ice cream I'm working on. I will slice and de-seed the kumquats, but them I'm wondering how best to proceed:

- Boil with water alone, and then let sit overnight, before adding sugar the next day. Is this necessary?
- Can I boil with water, sugar, and a bit of lemon or lime juice, until goopy? Wait for it to cool, and stir into the ice cream?

I have no intention of preserving the "jam". I just want a slush of soft, concentrated kumquat flavor.

Thought? Thanks!

asked by Cristina Sciarra over 3 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Diana Henry has a recipe for a kumquat and passion fruit jam in Salt Sugar Smoke. She combines kumquats, orange juice, lemon juice, and passion fruit pulp in pan, then brings it to a boil and reduces the heat to gently cook the mixture until the kumquat skins are tender. She covers the pan and lets it sit overnight. Next day she adds the sugar, then reboils until it hits the setting point. I'd be inclined to follow her instructions for the most part. If you want to be more adventurous, I'd at least let the kumquats and juice macerate in the sugar for at least 8 hours -- see my kumquat shaker pie recipe; the kumquat peels soften nicely in the process of macerating them then baking them in the pie so I imagine it would work in a more jammish application.

16f72ccb 3197 434b a946 8e9e68a3715f  cristina 014 web final

Thanks, Sara! I think I will boil the kumquats first with lime juice and zest, let it sit overnight, and then add sugar and salt and heat again. I do want them to be soft enough so that they won't be distracting in ice cream. Great advice!

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I've done this a couple times this year, and it couldn't be easier. I simply make a simple syrup of water and sugar (1:1), bring to a simmer, throw in thinly sliced kumquats (seeded), and simmer until the syrup is thick and the kumquats are translucent. As it cools, it takes on the consistency of marmalade and tastes delicious. I've been using it on toast and in cocktails. Yum!

Hm, that seems even easier. With this method, how soft do the rinds become? For the ice cream, I'd like them to be quite soft. (Although, as a jam, I may try this soon!)

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

I don't have any advice on method, but dulce de leche ice cream + kumquat jam sounds delicious! I just saw a recipe in this month's Bon Appetit where you stir orange marmalade into vanilla ice cream and thought that sounded great, too. Hope you post your recipe here!

Thanks, Emily! I'm leaving for Buenos Aires (!) on Friday, so I wanted my blog post this week to reflect that in some way. Even if I don't upload the recipe to Food52 right away, I'll post the link here. :)

B374f07a 68c6 4595 a705 99ed993c08fc  coconut panna cotta small for web

We have a huge kumquat tree so I always make a very easy kumquat marmalade. It is essentially equal parts (by weight) kumquats and sugar with some water. No waiting overnight, it can be cooked right away. Here is the recipe. http://www.couldntbeparve...
The peels come out nice and soft. If you are freezing it in ice cream I would recommend cooking it a bit less to more of a sauce consistency. Fully set kumquat marmalade can be a bit chewy when added to ice cream. (Kumquat marmalade on vanilla ice cream is one of my favorite desserts.)