Cereal milk ice cream question

Tried twice to make the brittle for this recipe. I got nothing but crystallized sugar. Water to sugar ratio? I've carmalized sugar plenty of times and could not get anything out of this. (1 1/2 cup sugar to 1/4 cup water). Help!!!!

asked by Atlanticgull about 4 years ago

Sarah

How are you doing this? What are the instructions in the recipe?

Atlanticgull

https://food52.com/blog....

Followed the above. First half is for the ice cream, second half is for the brittle.

Sounds like the recipe might need a Tb of corn syrup or possibly honey. This keeps the sugar syrup from crystallizing. Alternatively, use a candy thermometer and heat the sugar/water mixture to 300F, which is the hard crack stage.

Yianna

Hmm, that's very interesting - I'd try adding a little corn syrup like HalfPint suggested, or maybe checking that all the sugar is dissolved properly before the mixture comes to a boil. This usually stops crystallization for me when I make caramel.