🔕 🔔

Leeks

I bought way too many leeks! Can I prep them (wash, slice and dry) and freeze them? How long can they last in the freezer if I am able to?

asked by Madame Sel over 5 years ago

4cc38b64 6692 42be 81f7 24b3e7bcda7f  img 2088

Although I'm not sure about shelf life, I do know you can prep them and freeze them. I would add the step of quickly blanching them to the wash, slice, dry line up though.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Yes, definitely blanch them before freezing.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Leeks keep extraordinarily well. We pluck them all winter out of a box in a freezing cold shed. If you have room in your refrigerator, they will likewise keep perfectly well for a long long time. If the outer leaves get limp or brown, simply pull them away to expose the fresh leek beneath. Why bother with the hassle of freezing them?

Simply, I would freeze them for fridge space. They are smaller once processed and frozen.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I wash and slice them and freeze regularly for use in soups, never have blanched them, and they've been fine.