Favorite food cooked in dorm room

This question is prompted by a post from Sam where he tells of making a dorm-room version of corned beef and cabbage.
What memories do Food62-ers have of food you cooked/ate in your dorm room? I remember a repellent vending machine in my dorm
that held cold hamburgers. Nearby was a tiny sad microwave, a primitive one, to nuke them. I didn't indulge, but many carried them back to their rooms to enjoy. I'm a boomer, so this probably fits the era.

asked by ATL over 5 years ago

cookbookchick

ATL, I had all but forgotten those sad, rubbery burgers! Now that you've made me remember them, I can almost taste them! We made hot beverages and soup in our rooms, using one of those metal coils attached to an electric cord that you stuck in a mug.

I remember those burgers too...they had quartz lamp oven to heat them.

TobiT

The first time I ever had sushi was in my freshman dorm. My roomie was from Hawaii and she had a tiny tiny rice cooker. She make maki with egg and dried shredded pork. One of the most delicious things I'd ever eaten - and it started my now-30-year love of sushi!

henandchicks

We ate ramen with gochujang, but then (sooo long ago) gochujang wasn't fashionable, it was called "hot bean paste", and we bought it at a dusty little closet of a shop. I learned this delicacy from my best pal, who's mom is Korean. We ate this all the time; probably way too often.

CHeeb

My sister was the queen of dorm DIY cooking. It was not my "thing" , however she made incredible "things" with a plug in Skillet or electric frying pan. I don't even know if they are made anymore!!! She baked potatoes, sizzled fragrant steaks in butterand Lea and Perrins, and then baked a cake in her desk top skillet.Breakfast was a given, as she easily cooked sausage ,bacon and eggs, or pancakes in her fryer. I still am in awe of her lengthy menus after 40+ years.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Popcorn and tea were about all we made. Plug in popcorn popper and plug in water heater. It was like a little party when people came over and we had tea and popcorn. :))

CHeeb

I forgot about Pam's popcorn in the electric skillet One Halloween she popped corn and then made sweet caramel balls for the entire dorm to share . She said it was an instant new friend magnet when everyone at Ga Tech smelled popcorn popping.FUN memories...thx for reminding me...ch

Brain Health Kitchen

I made everything in my blender, and not just margaritas. My specialty was a sickly sweet custardy pie made with creme de menthe called Grasshopper Pie. And I had been to Spain on exchange so I was really into Blender Romesco sauce on everything.