🔕 🔔

How do you make corn beef and cabbage and how long dies of take ?

asked by Lu over 4 years ago

I'm assuming that you have a package of corned beef that needs to be cooked. If you do, put the meat into a large pot, add the seasoning packet that is often packed with the meat. Add water to cover the meat by an inch or so. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the meat is tender. The general rule is ~25 minutes per pound. When the meat is done, take it out and let it rest. To the cooking liquid, add potatoes and carrots if you want. Cook until vegetables are tender, ~10-15 minutes. Then take a head of cabbage, quartered, and add to the cooking liquid and cook until it's soft and tender, ~10 minutes. Scoop out the vegetables into a platter or bowl. Some people like to sip the cooking broth (strained). Slice meat and serve with the cooked vegetables.

I place my corned beef in a crockpot and cover it with Guinness stout beer and let it sit overnight. The next day I cook it on low for 4-6 hours. When it's time to cook the veg I add about 1/4 cup of broth into the veg pot to add flavor. I cook my cabbage separately because not everyone likes it.