What do I do with chia seeds? Why are they good for u?

Susan-Elizabeth
Susan-Elizabeth March 23, 2013

Chia seeds are a full protein - something that is relatively rare in the plant kingdom, and they are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. What's more, they don't have to be ground up before use. They can be sprinkled on cereal, salads - any food that you want. Put them in a blender with a non-dairy beverage (soy, almond or rice milk, for instance), add cocoa powder and/or if you like and blend for a chia seed pudding.

msmely
msmely March 23, 2013

In addition to what Susan-Elizabeth has said, chia seeds are also very high in fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, calcium, phosphorus, manganese, potassium and iron. When left to stand for a few minutes in liquid, their coats plump up and form a gel, almost like tiny tapioca pearls.

They're really good added to breads or cereals. I like to eat mine at breakfast mixed with some fruit and yogurt. I separate a bag of frozen fruit into equal portions, and add two teaspoons each of chia seeds and hemp hearts to the container. As the frozen fruit melts in the fridge, the chia seeds are hydrated, and then I mix yogurt in at breakfast time.