🔕 🔔

Cooking two legs of lamb at once?

Mom has one bone-in, one boneless and wants to cook both for tomorrow. I doubt the wisdom of cooking both in same oven simultaneously. Fun but reasonable suggestions? Bone-in is 5lbs, boneless is 4 lbs. Open pit not an option ;)

asked by JadeTree about 5 years ago

It can be done if the oven can accomodate both roasts, the boneless would require less cooking time so would need to be removed before the bone in. Depending on the level of doneness you would need anywhere from 15=30 minutes per pound (medium rare to well done) A meat thermometer would help if you have one. Happy Easter!

ChefOno

I agree with Suzanne except I'd phrase the answer just a little differently. The smaller roast, both absent a bone and weighing less, will require less time in the oven so I'd start the other one first (assuming you want them to finish at the same time). And I'd remove "well done" from the range of temperatures. Please don't do that to the poor little lamb.

Thanks Chef Ono, you are so right, I should have said to put the bone in first so they are both done at the same time. I totally agree about well done, I just included it just in case they like their meat that way. I personally don't and say yes spare the little lamb from over cooking.

JadeTree

Thank you both! Wow - thirty minutes a pound! The only thing I've cooked that long was my brain during my PhD comps. Ha! No, the lamb will not be subjected to that ferocity. And I will put the bone-in in first. We'll raise a glass to you tomorrow!