🔕 🔔

Can you substitute ground cinnamon for cinnamon sicks?

asked by drose about 4 years ago
Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

What are you making? Frequently, the cinnamon sticks are removed from the final product, so you are really extracting cinnamon oil from the sticks when cooking/preparing and then removing the sticks. You certainly can substitute (and I've heard 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon for one 3 to 4 inch stick but don't know if that's true) -- the most likely impact could be appearance. The pieces of ground cinnamon won't dissolve in the final product in the same way the extracted oil will. If appearance isn't a concern -- substitute away!

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

SeaJambon has covered the potential effect of substitution; this chart, which someone kindly pointed me toward when I had an equivalency question recently, will tell you what the equivalent is: http://www.e-cookbooks...