Can you substitute ground cinnamon for cinnamon sicks?

asked by drose about 5 years ago

SeaJambon

What are you making? Frequently, the cinnamon sticks are removed from the final product, so you are really extracting cinnamon oil from the sticks when cooking/preparing and then removing the sticks. You certainly can substitute (and I've heard 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon for one 3 to 4 inch stick but don't know if that's true) -- the most likely impact could be appearance. The pieces of ground cinnamon won't dissolve in the final product in the same way the extracted oil will. If appearance isn't a concern -- substitute away!

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

SeaJambon has covered the potential effect of substitution; this chart, which someone kindly pointed me toward when I had an equivalency question recently, will tell you what the equivalent is: http://www.e-cookbooks...