🔕 🔔

Can you use the same cast iron skillet for various items, fish, steak or pancakes without off flavors?

asked by socalfoodie over 4 years ago

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Sure, as long as you clean & care for it properly after use.

Absolutely. Cooked some burgers in mine tonight, ill fry some eggs in it tomorrow or breakfast. Its the one pan that sits out on my stove-used daily without thought as to what was in it last. The lack of soap and water to clean it throws people off. Use proper technique to clean, then scour the hot pan with a few tbs of kosher salt.

I have simply using kosher salt to clean my skillet after watching Amanda's video on how to clean cast iron. I have cooked everything including David Eyre's pancake and haven't noticed a problem so far. I just love my skillet. Thanks for the great answers.

Unless you are keeping kosher there is almost no reason you can't use it for almost anything.

397ba0bd b122 419c a25d a9ec8b379bf9  stringio

Sometimes if I cook fish the iron will smell a tad fishy the next time I use it, but it never translates into taste. I've done fish one night and eggs the next morning without issue.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Just a note: don't worry too much about cleaning your cast iron. I know a lot of people who think that if water touches their cast iron, it's ruined. Not so! If you have a filthy, fishy cast iron pan, don't be afraid to clean it in proportion to its dirtiness. If you scour the seasoning off the pan, simply re-season it. I recently learned that linseed (flaxseed) oil is the best to use for seasoning since it polymerizes at lower temps than other oils, so you can re-season your pans without filling your house with the awful smell and smoke. If you have a fire pit, though, definitely take advantage of it to season your pans--slather them with oil and just put them directly in the fire or on a little grate over the coals.