🔕 🔔

Grams to Cups & Ounces to Cups. I googled and did the math, but still feel a bit insecure. The pie crust recipe I'd like to use is in grams and ounces and alas I do not have a scale. Does 315 grams flour = 2.5 cups read right? 5.5 ounces butter = 11 Tablespoons & 3 ounces shortening equals 0.8 cups? I figure I'd start with less than I think I need and add until the desired dough consistency... but help would be nice. Thanks!

asked by A_to_the_Zed over 6 years ago

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

The conversion will be a bit dodgy, this is why it is better to weigh everything, but I am sure you do not have a pastry scale, otherwise you would not be asking. I know there is 28.3495 grams per ounce.

Just try it and see, you may have to make a couple of batches to get it right. In the end you will learn what doesn't work

The conversions for the flour and butter are OK, but the one for shortening is incorrect.

3 oz shortening = 6 Tbsp = 3/8 cup ( or .375 cup), not 8/10 cup.

As corrected, the fat to flour ratio seems about right for the recipe to work. 8 oz total fat to 2.5 cups flour is standard ratio in pie crusts; you'd have 8.5/2.5.

Thanks! These were the answers I needed! Sfmiller - thanks for correcting my shortening calculations. I thought my original estimate seemed like a lot!

C5f12c9a 427a 4bfb 989d bae25d1a5b9b  karen7

Hello A:
It would be so much easier to just get yourself a scale. I got a digital scale at W*lmart for about 15 dollars and it will weigh ounces/lbs as well as grams/kilos. Weighing will be simpler than calculating.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

The shortening issue points to one of the problems in conversion. American measures use ounces for both weight and fluid (volume) measure, so an ounce can be 1/16th of a pound or 1/8th of a cup, and they're not always the same thing. Metric measurements are more specific.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

The brand of flour and your region can play a factor. Gold Medal AP is 130g/c, USDA AP flour is 125g/cup..while king authar claims all it's flour is 115 g/c. (doubtful).

http://www.recipesource...