I hate peeling ginger! Does anybody have a trick to peeling my fibrous foe?

asked by Bill F about 5 years ago

petitbleu

I like to use the tip of a spoon to scrape off the skin. It works really well. Freezing the ginger before doing this also helps the skin come off easier.

cookbookchick

Yes! Use the tip of a teaspoon. Works like a charm!

chiaralucia

Yep, I swear by the spoon trick too. Also the freezing, makes grating it a lot easier too. I just got a tip that using a teaspoon makes peeling hard boiled eggs a snap too!

Hilarybee

I don't peel, just use a microplane. When I use ginger slices, I just use a grapefruit spoon with a serrated edge to get the skin off the chunks I'm using.

SeaJambon

Seconding the edge of a thin spoon for peeling ginger. Haven't tried it frozen -- pretty easy at room temp. I sometimes make a big batch of candied ginger which can have me peeling a pound or more at one time. If you happen to be peeling this quantity, I'd advise doing so with gloves on. The ginger "juice", in quantity, burns and stings. It hasn't been an issue when using a small amount but in quantity, it definitely is.

savorthis

I always have ginger in the freezer. Not only is it easy to grate (agree that the microplane, especially the larger holed ones, are ideal), but if you thaw it it is really easy to squeeze for juice.

Daria Faulkner

vegetable peeler works pretty good for me

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

me too...

SeaJambon

QueenSashy and Daria -- for fun, give the spoon edge method a try. I, too, used to use the veg peeler but am now positively evangelical about the spoon edge. It is every bit as quick and much easier to get around the knobby pieces, with so much less ginger lost in the peeling. For best results, use a metal spoon with a thin edge. I have some very old iced tea spoons that are excellent for this purpose! Indulge me -- try it once and see if you notice a difference. :)

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I am going to give the spoon method a try right away. Does it also work with sunchokes? That's where I usually run into problems.

LE BEC FIN

sashy, absolutely no need to peel jerusalem artichokes. we never have and we eat them,sliced, in all our salads; ans also do gratins and soups and stews w/ them

BoulderGalinTokyo

If you are using it in a stew or something that cooks for 45 mins or so, just scrub with a vegetable brush and chop to your thickness. Many dishes here keep the peeling on.

BoulderGalinTokyo

In fact, the ginger marmalade sold here has slices in it with the peeling on.

LE BEC FIN

I use an inexpensive serrated-edge steak knife. or i cut off/toss the little knobs (not worth the time or pennies)and use a veg peeler.