Can you freeze fresh ginger? Should you peel it first?

• Posted by: Randi
  • November 3, 2010

campagnes
campagnes November 3, 2010

Yep, I keep mine in the freezer, wrapped tightly in plastic and foil. I rarely peel mine even when I use it; just use my microplane to grate off what I need, then re-wrap and pop it back in the freezer. The skin gets so finely grated that you don't know it's there.

pierino November 3, 2010

Maybe it depends on where you live. But I guess my answer would be "why bother?" It's not the most expensive ingredient out there. An alternative to freezing (if it's all about saving money) would be to peel an "arm" or two, and stick em in a small jar and fill it with rice wine vinegar. You can hold that in the refrigerator for a really long time.

nutcakes
nutcakes November 3, 2010

I always like to keep a spare piece in the freezer so I don't run out. I don't peel first, i just scrape the part I need with the edge of a spoon if I want it peeled. Just use from frozen, do not thaw. I have heard that you can bury it in potting soil and it will keep a long time, but I haven't tried it.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles November 3, 2010

By all means, freezing ginger keeps it in great shape and it makes it even easier to grate later, say on a Microplane. I would peel it first because it makes handling it easier when when you need it later. If you do not want to peel that is fine too, but it will make it more of a hassle later when you need ginger.

Kayb
Kayb November 3, 2010

I've not tried freezing, but I just mine loosely wrapped in plastic in the fridge. It lasts a long time.

testkitchenette
testkitchenette November 3, 2010

I freeze mine all the time...it is the first thing I forget when I need it at the grocery. I peel it and chop it into 1-2 inch pieces and put it in either a ziploc or plastic container. I just pop a piece out when I need it. Incidentally, I also freeze peeled and halved bananas in a large ziploc so that when I make smoothies I don't have to use ice.

gingerroot
gingerroot November 4, 2010

I'm with testkitchenette - I always freeze my ginger, cut into 1-2 inch pieces, without peeling first. I put them in a freezer bag and use as needed. I usually take a piece out about ten minutes before I want to cut it, and simply use a sharp paring knife to cut away the thin skin and then grate, mince or slice the ginger.

mrslarkin November 4, 2010

Yes, you can! And you don't have to peel it first. I freeze whole unpeeled gingerroot, and grate with microplane. You could also freeze some 1/2 inch disks as well, depending on what recipes you are using. Wrap in plastic and store in freezer baggy.

foodfighter
foodfighter November 4, 2010

You can store in the freezer as others have mentioned, but you can also peel and chop then store in fridge in sherry. Then you can use the flavored sherry in stir fries and dressings.

Randi
Randi November 4, 2010

Thanks for all the answers to my first pickle.

miss_msry
miss_msry July 16, 2012

I can't get ginger to grow here, but in this area it is very inexepensive at the market. Unfortunately, the nearest market is 30 minutes away. I just freeze for emergencies, and for REAL emergencies keep some dried on hand.