What happens when a community picks candidate has no testers? (like there looks to be 8 this week)

Does it go untested and just too bad for the cook who worked on the recipe?

• Posted by: dymnyno
  • April 15, 2013

pierino April 15, 2013

I'm not sure that this means that there are "no" testers as there are three testing slots available. I'm signed up for a testing but the slate still shows "testers needed". That may or may not explain it.

dymnyno
dymnyno April 16, 2013

I understand that if only 2 signed up for testing the recipe will still show "testers needed". What if no one signs up for a recipe? I think the editors are the only ones who can answer this.

SKK April 15, 2013

Being transparent about my stupidity here - I used to love to test and have not been able to figure out how/when to sign up to test for the longest time.

AntoniaJames April 16, 2013

SKK, click on the link to the recipe, and on the recipe itself there is a button that says, "Test this recipe" (or something of the sort). Those buttons are removed at some point, as we get closer to the cutoff for submitting reviews. And no apologies necessary. It took a while for many of us to get the hang of it. ;o)

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria April 16, 2013

Also, the call for testers goes out on the Friday after the submission deadline. The post can always be found on the upper right hand corner of the contest page. Sometimes it is featured on the home page too.

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria April 16, 2013

Oops -- typing too fast -- meant to say that the post can always be found on the upper LEFT hand corner of the contest page!

ChefJune April 16, 2013

There is still no answer to the original question posed by dymnyno. I'm curious, as well.

hardlikearmour April 16, 2013

It seems the test kitchen makes a good percentage of the recipes, so even if no community tester is claimed the recipe can end up as a CP or finalist circle. A good example is gingerroot's Spicy Sesame Pork Soup with Noodles -- no testers, but was the winner of the Noodle Soup contest.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen April 16, 2013

Somewhere some time ago a similar question was posed and I recall one of the editors saying that Food52 editors would test if there were no volunteers.

dymnyno
dymnyno April 17, 2013

So(Editors) Is the final answer: Yes, ALL Community picks are tested; either by a the food52 community or by the editors?

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria April 17, 2013

That's my understanding. I don't think that a recipe is ever selected to be a community pick without it being tested by one of the food52 editors or one of their own recipe testers. However, I think that the feedback from the community testers helps the editors to make their final decisions.

Bevi
Bevi April 17, 2013

Who knows?