Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Tough Dough

I'm making dough for babka and it turned out really tough after I kneaded it for 10 minutes. I probably added too much four. I think it's supposed to be quite sticky. I'm worried that it's not rising properly. Is there anyway to fix the problem or should I start over?

asked by thebunalsorises over 3 years ago

Yes, my babka dough is usually relatively sticky. Try working a little more liquid into the dough. Then leave it to rise overnight in the fridge.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

In addition to what Cynthia said: When working with a really sticky dough, it helps to slightly wet your (very clean) hands. Should your hands start to get gummy or covered in dough, take the time to clean it off and then reset. You'll be amazed at how well this works.

Also, you can sometimes knead dough on a board that you've dampened, instead of flouring the board. Sprinkle a few drops of water on the surface and rub it around- you don't want it soaked, just a thin film of water to act as a barrier.