I have a dough-related question. In a pierogi recipe I'm making, it says to "knead the dough several minutes until smooth and elastic." I kneaded for about 6 minutes, and the dough is quite elastic, but it kept a pockmarked appearance the whole time. Is that contrary to what the recipe, and others like it, describes as "smooth?" I went ahead to the next step (rest for 30 minutes) hoping that I'd done enough kneading. The dough ingredients are 4 cups flour, 1 1/3 cup warm water, 2 egg yolks, and 3 tbsp. olive oil.

Soozll
Soozll December 30, 2010

By smooth, they mean you won't feel lumps of egg or flour or butter. I think you've kneaded it plenty. Pull a little piece off and stretch it between your thumbs and forefingers, gently, It should feel almost like over chewed bubble gum and stretcb thin enough to appear to be transluscent, like a dirty window pane! It will break if you pull it too far, just stretch it until you see it look like a thin membrane. That means you've kneaded it enough.

campagnes
campagnes December 30, 2010

Awesome.. that's exactly what it looked like! I'm boiling my second batch now, and they're absolutely perfect.. I'm so excited. ;) Thanks Soozll!