🔕 🔔

horseradish instead of ginger

I intended on buying ginger. I was at an Asian market and could not read the labels. When I went to use it, I found it hard to peel, grate or chop. Then I tasted it and realized I had horseradish! I did without it in my recipe and now I am trying to decide what to do with it. Suggestions?

asked by mainesoul over 4 years ago

78f24c74 4792 4eca 8199 b48a8da4f58c  stringio

Why can't I edit this question? I get an unauthorized 403 when I try to. Basically, any idea on using fresh horseradish?

Two ideas:
Grate, mix with creme fraiche and dill and serve with poached salmon.
Cream of horseradish soup.

Grate and serve with horseradish whipped potatoes. Almost had a sweet taste

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

If you happen to have a copy of Diane Morgan's book Roots, there are a number of horseradish recipes that look amazing - horseradish cream, lemon horseradish butter, horseradish gnocchi...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Grate some for a killer bloody mary at brunch tomorrow. Or, make a classic horseradish sauce for roast beef (mix with sour cream, a little dijon, s&p, some chopped chives are good in there too.) Also good with smoked fish - trout, hot smoked salmon, bluefish...

E0f7f273 1ea9 4b68 bffb 62a0d69520d2  la gerbe detail

Horseradish cream sauce is delicious with roast beef.