horseradish instead of ginger

I intended on buying ginger. I was at an Asian market and could not read the labels. When I went to use it, I found it hard to peel, grate or chop. Then I tasted it and realized I had horseradish! I did without it in my recipe and now I am trying to decide what to do with it. Suggestions?

asked by mainesoul about 5 years ago

mainesoul

Why can't I edit this question? I get an unauthorized 403 when I try to. Basically, any idea on using fresh horseradish?

Two ideas:
Grate, mix with creme fraiche and dill and serve with poached salmon.
Cream of horseradish soup.

Bill F

Grate and serve with horseradish whipped potatoes. Almost had a sweet taste

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

If you happen to have a copy of Diane Morgan's book Roots, there are a number of horseradish recipes that look amazing - horseradish cream, lemon horseradish butter, horseradish gnocchi...

Grate some for a killer bloody mary at brunch tomorrow. Or, make a classic horseradish sauce for roast beef (mix with sour cream, a little dijon, s&p, some chopped chives are good in there too.) Also good with smoked fish - trout, hot smoked salmon, bluefish...

rosalind5

Horseradish cream sauce is delicious with roast beef.