🔕 🔔

chopping candied ginger

I am making a cookie recipe that calls for finely chopped candied ginger. I have tried a nut chopper. Nope. I tried freezing it and then the nut chopper. Nope.Should I chop it by hand? Any suggestions?

asked by Lucia from Madison over 1 year ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Do you own a Mezzaluna? A super sharp knife would do it.

27deb974 3b33 4f19 b966 dc79321a31b1  photo for web

No but I will put that on my Christmas list. I do have the sharp knife.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I'd do it by hand. In the time you'd take to figure out another method, you'd already be finished and biting into a warm, gingery cookie.

You make a very good point!

65e14897 bfa8 4f08 a2cc 7c62a138df52  zhm6qanmwcbgmwk1sctu6hm6 pkn4vdu3w v3h85ujovb6oajjwqbbohtsrxxwsnr gm6ioo0q ohzjxeuf5rs3lzja7tpbvonrmeivzlfqsbzb0wloebeilcb5av2hnsckn6rshfvd5nlc 0qaveg8zlsv68xpr7cy0zqyo cczoe s0 d e1 ft

I find that a little cooking spray, such as Pam, applied to the knife blade makes chopping sticky things, like your ginger, a bit easier. It works well for dried fruit too.

Oil your knife. The worse part of chopping candied ginger is how stink it gets. I personally don't think a mezzaluna makes chopping candied ginger any easier or faster.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I also chop by hand. Not my most favorite thing to do. I wet the ginger with my hands (and the knife from time to time) to help reduce the stickiness. And I also found that using big chef's knife makes the job easier.

How finely do you need it chopped? If making cookies, etc., where the recipe calls for granulated sugar, and where the ginger is intended to give a bright flavor, but I don't necessarily want discernible bits, I very coarsely chop it, putting a tablespoon or so of sugar on top of it; then I pop it in the food processor with all of the granulated sugar called for and just blitz away. It works like a charm. (It takes a minute or so of continuous processing to break it down. Also, you might need to pull a piece or two off the sharp points of the steel blade, but I've never had a much of a problem with that.)

You can do the same thing to make ginger-scented sugar for sprinkling on muffins, sweet breakfast buns, etc. ;o)