pecorino romano equivalent in spain?

I've just moved to Barcelona and am wondering if anyone knows the Spanish equivalent to Pecorino Romano? They don't really sell Italian cheese here. Thanks for your help!

Caitlin

asked by Caitlin Trenzano over 5 years ago

Christine

Since Pecorino Romano is a hard aged sheep milk cheese, I'd look for a 2 year aged Manchego for the most similar texture and fat content. Mahon is a cows milk cheese, but it has a similar texture to PR. I think it is a bit winier and fruitier, while Pecorinos are nuttier and saltier, but it is a delicious cheese that may meet your needs.

Caitlin Trenzano

Thank you Christine!

Elizabeth Rex

Roncal is an aged sheep's milk cheese. You could check that out.