is there any way to make duck confit that won't end up with my oven covered in duck fat?

asked by @GFchinese about 5 years ago

bigpan

Are you not putting a lid on the pot, or covering with foil ?

GFChinese

I wasn't. I sear it in a fry pan and then cook it in that pan, can I pop the lid on?

I cook it all on top of the stove, not in the oven at all.

This is a great painless recipe from Melissa Clark -
http://food52.com/recipes...

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Are you making duck confit (slow poach in its own fat) or pan frying duck that has already been confit, to serve? Making confit itself doesn't usually involve searing the duck first.

babytiger

That's what I was thinking as well. The duck should be submerged in oil and cooked in a low oven. There should not be splattering.