🔕 🔔

I planned on making the recent cassoulet recipe posted here, but cannot find confit duck legs in any grocery store. Would regular duck legs suffice?

I was thinking of crisping the skin a bit in a cast iron skillet before adding it to the beans for the last 2 hours in the oven.

asked by alicia over 1 year ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

There are a zillion cassoulet recipes out there, some of which don't include any confit at all. If you make yours with fresh duck legs, you may not be as authentic as some, but you can have a delicious meal. You'll want to crisp them up, as you've planned, not just for the crispiness but also to render some fat. Two alternatives--if you really want a project and have access to additional duck fat, consider making your own confit. It's not hard. Or, buy the confit mail order. That's pretty easy too.

No, not really. And if you're going to go through all the trouble to make cassoulet, you want to be rewarded when it's done.

You can fairly easily make your own confit duck legs. And if you want to cheat: http://www.foodnetwork...

Here's a very long but interesting article by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt of Serious Eats. He not only uses fresh poultry, he uses chicken rather than goose or duck. As, I've said, there are a zillion recipes for cassoulet; probably about half a zillion have some claim on being authentic. Let us know what you end up doing, alicia.

Whoops, forgot the link http://www.seriouseats...

5e9c12b1 7d8f 4041 907e c44c68f3a10c  apron

Thanks so much for the advice and articles. After referencing, cross-referencing, pondering with pursed lips, I rendered some of the fat out of the duck legs in my trusty cast iron, then putting them into the beans after the first 2 hours. As much as doing confit at home would be fun, I didn't quite plan for it.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

In Essential Pepin, Jacques Pepin's recipe for cassoulet includes duck, not duck confit. Like Greenstuff said, he also notes that it's originally a country "peasant" dish, with as many versions as cooks, not all with confit - and he knows a thing or two about "authenticity" ;) I don't know if the recipe is online, but maybe. (Great cookbook, btw.)

Or alicia, do you have access to a Costco? I saw duck confit there the other day, vacuum packed.) I know I was a bit surprised to see it there.

I think Costco is a town over. Never would have imagined they see duck confit though. :D