What is a good substitute for salt other than Soy Sauce? Thanks!

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

petitbleu

Fish sauce is awesome, although it obviously has a ton of fishy flavor. We love it, but if you're vegetarian or vegan it's probably not what you're looking for. Liquid aminos (Bragg's) is another good option for a liquid salt-replacer. However, you can also add salt via cheese, cured fish (anchovies, sardines, salt herring), shrimp paste, or even miso.

WileyP

Soy sauce has a great deal of salt in it, so instead of using it to reduce the salt in a dish, you are actually adding both salt and the flavor of fermented soy. If reducing the salt in a dish is your goal, soy sauce is not the way to do it.

Depending on what you are using it in, a little lemon zest will add a salt-like spark to a dish. Nothing, however, replaces salt's natural ability to enhance flavors in that special way.

When you reduce salt, add herbs and marinating time for flavor.

There's nothing wrong with Potassium Chloride salt substitutes.
If the chemical sounding name scares you, you might also consider eliminating Dihydrogen Monoxide from your diet.

A squirt of fresh lemon juice acts much like salt to bring out the flavors of whatever food you want to enhance. Soy sauce (and fish sauce, too) have a whole lot of sodium in them. I'm guessing it's sodium you want to avoid?

babytiger

Other than soy sauce and fish sauce, I sometimes use oyster sauce, miso, fermented bean sauce, fermented bean curds or vegemite.