🔕 🔔

Tart cherries in San Diego

I'm looking for a source in San Diego County for fresh or frozen tart cherries. Anyone?

asked by Zensister over 4 years ago

Cherry season hasn't yet begun in California but we are getting close. Depending on how you plan to use them you look for Italian amareno cherries jarred. You might find them in an Italian specialty shop or a good gourmet store.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I live in San Diego and can't remember running across them, but I wonder if you called someplace like Elizabethan Desserts in Encinitas if they might have some idea. Jimbo's also comes to mind as a potential source.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

TJ's has dried. Fresh - see Pierino. Frozen -- maybe try the internet? You might stumble on a local provider, but you may find what you need isn't local (and also a good way to find canned).

A68e1075 33ac 4e6a a91c 498eb1b5d239  open uri20121226 20070 1uquygn 0

Thanks! I haven't tried Jimbo's yet. If I can special order frozen from anyone, it would probably be them. I'm having my annual pipe dream about making jam with what seems to the only fruit I can't find here.

I just bought 6#s of tart cherries for a kriek beer TODAY at North Park Produce in El Cajon. It's .99/# in 2# bags. Be warned..after the first 2 bags, the price doubles! A nice Caldean lady behind me offered to sponsor my extra bag and it was back down to .99/#. Anyway, it's a popular item. Good luck!

Good news, Fred B! As the weather heats up in the Central Valley we should begin seeing fresh cherries.

The blossoms are looking good so get ready for some fresh cherries. The Traverse Bay Farms area is really looking for some fresh tart cherry and cherry juice. The TJ's cherries are imported from China and other parts of the world. Buy local from Cali or Michigan.

Db18888b 7b87 411a 9c08 10bcc5ade269  frozencherries