🔕 🔔

cherry pie

Hi! I want to bake a cherry pie for Thanksgiving, any suggestions on using frozen cherries or canned cherries, since they are not fresh this time of year. And a recommended recipe:)

asked by Ellie Landau over 1 year ago

Rebecca Salisbury
Rebecca Salisbury

Rebecca is Food52's Director of Customer Care

Hey there Ellie! I'm all for frozen fruit and I've used them before when making my own Cherry Pie! I'm not a fan of the goop (aka corn syrup) that you often find in canned fruit fillings. I would adapt this recipe for filling (unless you have your own!) https://food52.com/recipes...

Ellie Landau

For the frozen cherries, do you need to let them thaw or use frozen? Sorry, I am a newbie at pie baking:)

Definitely thaw, and in fact, you might want to heat them up with whatever thickener is to be used in the pie filling and the sweetener, to cook it down a bit before filling the pie, as frozen fruit throws off a LOT of juice. Good luck! ;o)

Or, thaw and partially drain.

Ellie Landau

Thank you Antonia:

I will do that:) Thank you again for all your advice - means so very much!! Very grateful for Food52 - just amazing!!!

John Jastram

Look for canned fruit in light syrup.