cherry pie

Hi! I want to bake a cherry pie for Thanksgiving, any suggestions on using frozen cherries or canned cherries, since they are not fresh this time of year. And a recommended recipe:)

Rebecca Salisbury
Rebecca Salisbury November 23, 2016

Hey there Ellie! I'm all for frozen fruit and I've used them before when making my own Cherry Pie! I'm not a fan of the goop (aka corn syrup) that you often find in canned fruit fillings. I would adapt this recipe for filling (unless you have your own!) https://food52.com/recipes...

Ellie Landau
Ellie Landau November 23, 2016

For the frozen cherries, do you need to let them thaw or use frozen? Sorry, I am a newbie at pie baking:)

AntoniaJames November 23, 2016

Definitely thaw, and in fact, you might want to heat them up with whatever thickener is to be used in the pie filling and the sweetener, to cook it down a bit before filling the pie, as frozen fruit throws off a LOT of juice. Good luck! ;o)

Nancy November 23, 2016

Or, thaw and partially drain.

Ellie Landau
Ellie Landau November 23, 2016

Thank you Antonia:

I will do that:) Thank you again for all your advice - means so very much!! Very grateful for Food52 - just amazing!!!

John Jastram
John Jastram November 23, 2016

Look for canned fruit in light syrup.