🔕 🔔

Mutton shanks

I have a couple of mutton shanks left over from butchering a ram. It was a 2 year old sheep, but the meat tastes like spring lamb - very tender and mild flavour. Just a bit more fat that a regular lamb.

Any thoughts on how to cook these?

I was toying with the idea of curing them in brine (like a pork hock) with loads of garlic, rosemary, and juniper. Then smoking them for a couple of hours (then finishing in the oven to get the internal temp upto - I think it's 140 or 150?). Then, I would somehow make a pot of beans with the shank... not sure how to do this as I usually use salt pork or bacon. (don't worry, I will already have the smoker going for some Montreal style smoked meat)

Are there any traditional recipes for mutton (or lamb) shanks? I know it's a tough cut of meat, and it's not one we see in the shops here very often.

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

There's a good braising recipe here (http://mackhillfarm.com... )

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

WileyP- that looks like a lovely recipe. A long, slow, braise is the key, and you'll have a fall off the bone, deep flavored, treat. You can add dried beans to the braise (very classic French -- I believe Julia Child has a recipe for exactly that) and they will absorb that lovely flavor. Alternately, you could add softer veggies (carrots, potatoes, that kind of thing) toward the end of the braise. When I think lamb, I also think garlic and rosemary, so think about those too. A quick google of "braised lamb shanks" reveals a ton of recipes.