lamb shanks and chickpeas in a slow cooker?

I have lamb shanks, chickpeas, lentils, a slowcooker, no onions and even worse NO GARLIC. It's a very desperate state of being. I don't even have leeks left in the garden. Woe is me.

It's early enough in the day I can put something in the crockpot, but what? Can't imagine any sort of recipe for shanks that would taste halfway reasonable without onions. Please help.

Or do I give up, make some crunchy oven toasted chickpeas, garden greens, and bacon for dinner, leave the shanks till I can get some onions?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Yes, onions and garlic are highly desirable but carrots would help out too. Be sure to use a meat stock.