Softening graham crackers

I'm thinking of re- working a family favorite dessert recipe for this weeks' contest and would like to use softened graham crackers in place of thin slices of cake. Will a brief soak in milk do the trick? And if so, for how long?

Pat is a trusted home cook.

asked about 5 years ago

Hmmm. When I was a kid we'd break up a bunch of graham crackers and put them in a bowl, then pour on milk as if they were cereal. They softened up pretty quickly if my memory serves.

petitbleu

Depending on what goes in-between the graham crackers, you may not need to pre-soften. My great-grandmother makes a delicious dessert with graham crackers layered with vanilla pudding and chocolate satin frosting. The crackers soften nicely on their own. I think she makes the dessert the day before serving it, so they have plenty of time to soften.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Thanks to both of you. The crackers will go in the freezer as opposed to the fridge so the concern is will they soften there. I think I'll try just a quick dip in the milk (in and out).

Mary

I know this is an old post but maybe this will help someone who is still looking like me. After unsuccessfully looking for an answer for this question on line I remembered my mother softened brown sugar with a fresh piece of white bread. So I placed 4 whole graham crackers in a zip bag with a piece of bread and a couple of hours later they where soft enough to cut holes out of with my biscuit cutter. Good luck to all