Making a dairy-free pumpkin pie, best to do same day or make tonight?

Just a basic recipe: sugar, spices, pumpkin, canola oil, eggs, and almond milk in a graham cracker crust. There will only be two people eating it, so I want it to last as long as possible, but want an easier to do list tomorrow, does it matter when I bake it? Thank you and have a happy Thanksgiving!

Amanda Sims
Amanda Sims November 25, 2015

It should be fine either way! If you're worried about the filling, just make the crust tonight and keep it refrigerated before filling and baking tomorrow.

Stephanie
Stephanie November 25, 2015

Thank you for your help!

AntoniaJames November 25, 2015

It should be fine if you make it tonight. In fact, many people think that pumpkin pie is better made the day before.

That said, I've never made one using a graham cracker crust. If the crust is not baked a bit beforehand, to harden it up a bit to prevent sogginess, I might just mix the custard for the pie and pour it in and bake it tomorrow. This is especially true because you're using almond milk and not cream - which could result in not quite as firm a custard (but again, I haven't tried the recipe, so I don't know for sure.)

Let us know what you do, and how it turns out. Have a nice Thanksgiving! ;o)

Stephanie
Stephanie November 25, 2015

I'm going to try it. This is all new to me this year, and I don't like pie so I'm just following the recipe I found online, haha. Thanks so much for your help!