what is nbsp?

What does nbsp mean?

asked by MzzzOnica over 5 years ago

Could it be tbsp (tablespoon)?

MzzzOnica

Could be... a typo maybe. It's in the chocolate sorbet recipe (David L). thanks

TheWimpyVegetarian

I haven't seen the recipe, but nbsp is html for creating a space when scrolling down a recipe when inputting a recipe on a website. In html it's actually &nbsp, so it's possible that it was entered without the "&" so it came through as nbsp. But I haven't seen the recipe, so couldn't say for sure.

sfmiller

Wimpy Vegetarian is correct.   is the HTML code for a "nonbreaking space"--i.e., a space that can't appear at the end of a line of print or, in groups of two or more, be collapsed to a single space (as web browsers do with multiple ordinary spaces).

If the code is entered withouth the leading ampersand, the user sees the characters "nbsp" instead of the intended space.

TheWimpyVegetarian

Thanks for the more complete answer sfmiller! When I typed the actual code in with the ampersand, of course it disappeared :-).

MzzzOnica

Awesome...thank you.