having a dinner party and need some help with sides

i'm grilling skirt steak, chicken and salmon. so far, my sides are a charred corn salad (w/tomatoes and basil) and grilled vegetables. reco for the third? was thinking a galette? or should i do a rice/couscous dish? thanks!

asked by lcast over 5 years ago

EmilyC

How about lightly grilling some good bread? It'd be simple and good with the rest of your menu. I like to brush each side with olive oil, finely chopped rosemary or thyme and lemon zest. A savory galette sounds lovely too, if you have the time. Have fun!

As you are grilling already, you could possibly make bruschette (please note it's not pronounced "Broo-shetta"!). Great with a chicken liver spread but possibly you could deploy your corn salad directly on the bruschetta as the delivery system. FYI I'm messing around with a grilled corn salad myself this evening. Tabbouleh would also go well with your grill menu---keep it green with lots of parsley and mint.

Tony S

I would definitely lean towards something starchy for those that require that as part of their meal. Rice/couscous would be good, I always lean towards something that can be made ahead. Perhaps a vinegar based potato salad (for the anti-mayo crowd), rice or couscous salad, or a quinoa salad... Quinoa tabbouleh with diced cucumbers is always a hit at my house.

check out the sweet rice featured on the front page today - it looks amazing! I also love pauljoseph's tomato rice. The nice thing is either one could be cooked an hour or so in advance and be OK hanging out

mensaque

How about a cauliflower purée?I love the combination between corn and cauliflower,and I think that it's "creaminess" would balance your meal in therms of texture.

daddysurprise

how about a couple small cheese filled raviolis in a sage brown butter sauce per plate. simple and light.