Need another veggie for a dinner party (perhaps)?

I posted a few weeks ago about a dinner party menu that I needed help with. We're having 13 people for my MIL's 80th birthday. I've more or less finalized the menu, but I feel like I need another side dish.

Here's the menu:

Corn Fritters
Morel crostini

Dungeness Crab salad with citrus and fennel

Poached salmon
Grilled boneless leg of lamb with rosemary salt and mint salsa verde
Baby Artichokes, Asparagus and Potatoes with Herb Mayonnaise
(mayo and salsa verde to go on salmon and/or lamb)

Lemon Curd Mousse Cake or strawberry shortcakes with lemon cream

DH says he "really, really, really" doesn't think I need another vegetable. My response: "what's your point?"

Ideas, please! Thanks.

asked by Jocelyn Grayson over 7 years ago

I'd think about adding puréed parsnips, but I admit I have a weakness for parsnips!

Speaking of purees, I love this one, and it includes those lovely parsnips: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Jocelyn Grayson

I was thinking of something with fava beans...Parsnips (and purees, for that matter) seem more wintery to me...

Melusine

Thinking of my grandmother's holiday tables -- classic Waldorf salad (with a properly made boiled dressing) and/or cucumbers in sour cream. Both cool, colorful and crunchy. She also made there there was some sort of red Jello with bananas for me, but that's probably good not for a grown-up party.

I agree that parsnips and purees seem more wintery, but I think they would complement the flavor of lamb beautifully. Favas would be another great idea, though!

Favas are in season and plentiful right now. But the big old BUT is that they are total pain in the butt, especially if you are cooking for 13 people. Now if you have four or five illegal prep cooks at your disposal...

dymnyno

I have a recipe on food52 called Melange of Green beans that is perfect as a side dish...you can use many types of beans, the seasoning is made by blending some of the beans and it can be served hot or cold.

Jocelyn Grayson

Pierino - quite right. I was thinking of doing it a day ahead, but the volume probably is too ambitious.
dymnyno - I'll check that out, Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

I love this recipe because it is easy, simple and incredibly tasty. You can make the oil a day ahead if you want.

Roasted Asparagus with Lemon-Chili Oil from 'Cookwise' by Shirley Corriher
Serves 4
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp dried pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
1 tsp water
I lb asparagus spears

1. Bring shallot, pepper flakes, ground pepper and oil to simmer in saucepan. Simmer over very low heat for 4 minutes. Remove from heat ande let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in zest of 2 lemons (save one to garnish) and the water. Let stand at least 1 hour and then strain oil into small bowl.

2. Arrange asparagus spears in oblong dish, stir in 2 tbsps of the prepared flavored oil, roast spears about 3 inches from broiler for 5 min

3. Spoon rest of flavored oil, salt and remaining zest and serve

Jocelyn Grayson

Thanks for that, SKK. I think I'm going with the French Bean Salad with Tarragon and Green Peppercorn from this site.

BoulderFoodie

I know you have already made up your mind, BUT, consider thirschfeld's glazed carrots. Not only do they sound delicious, they would add a nice splash of color to the table. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with shallots and parmesan cheese was a big hit the least time I had a bunch of folks over for dinner. Use fresh Brussels Sprouts and shredded parmesan. I chop the Brussels Sprouts, toss them in olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper and roast them at 425 for 30-40 mins. Halfway through the cooking time, I stir in chopped shallots. Then, I remove them from the oven, stir in the parmesan and serve. It was a hit even with folks who swore never to touch a Brussels Sprout!

TheHealthyApple

How about some asparagus with fresh lemon and thyme or you could make some tasty sweet potato fries sprinkled with paprika and chili powder!