chestnut flour gnocchi

Making ricotta gnocchi for a gluten-free friend's birthday. Has anyone used chestnut or chickpea flour instead of white flour with good results?

asked by Brain Health Kitchen over 5 years ago

It's cetainly worth trying. Be aware that chestnut flour has a very strong flavor, almost bacon-like. It would combine well, I think, with a mushroom based cream sauce, perhaps using dried porcini seasoned with thyme.

Brain Health Kitchen

That's what I was hoping since I am making Morel Smothered Chicken with is flavored with thyme and finished with creme fraiche. I just don't want the gnocchi to be dry. Thanks Pierino!

Have you tried the gnocchi yet, and if so, how did they turn out? From the limited experience I have had using chestnut flour, I suspect that you might have to combine it with wheat flour to prevent cannonball gnocchi.

smslaw

I made sweet potato gnocchi with one of those gluten-free flours that contain several different grains. It came out just fine.

GIOVANNI50

This sounds intriguing. A good gnocco is soft like a pillow and melts in your mouth. I can't even figure out how to make them that soft, but I've had them at Al Dente in DC. Please let us know how it went. Cannon ball gnocchi? made a few of those.... :-)

Brain Health Kitchen

The chestnut gnocchi was a hit! My gluten free birthday girl was very happy. And I was happy because the gnocchi was soft and pillowy, with a great earthy flavor that soaked up the Morel Smothered Chicken. No cannonballs. I substituted all of the all purpose flour in my ricotta gnocchi recipe (1 1/2 cups) for chestnut flour, and took care not to overwork the dough.

Glad to hear it worked out. The chestnut flour with the morels sounded like a good match to begin with.