chestnut flour gnocchi

Making ricotta gnocchi for a gluten-free friend's birthday. Has anyone used chestnut or chickpea flour instead of white flour with good results?

pierino June 27, 2013

It's cetainly worth trying. Be aware that chestnut flour has a very strong flavor, almost bacon-like. It would combine well, I think, with a mushroom based cream sauce, perhaps using dried porcini seasoned with thyme.

Brain Health Kitchen

That's what I was hoping since I am making Morel Smothered Chicken with is flavored with thyme and finished with creme fraiche. I just don't want the gnocchi to be dry. Thanks Pierino!

Maedl July 1, 2013

Have you tried the gnocchi yet, and if so, how did they turn out? From the limited experience I have had using chestnut flour, I suspect that you might have to combine it with wheat flour to prevent cannonball gnocchi.

smslaw
smslaw July 1, 2013

I made sweet potato gnocchi with one of those gluten-free flours that contain several different grains. It came out just fine.

GIOVANNI50
GIOVANNI50 July 1, 2013

This sounds intriguing. A good gnocco is soft like a pillow and melts in your mouth. I can't even figure out how to make them that soft, but I've had them at Al Dente in DC. Please let us know how it went. Cannon ball gnocchi? made a few of those.... :-)

Brain Health Kitchen

The chestnut gnocchi was a hit! My gluten free birthday girl was very happy. And I was happy because the gnocchi was soft and pillowy, with a great earthy flavor that soaked up the Morel Smothered Chicken. No cannonballs. I substituted all of the all purpose flour in my ricotta gnocchi recipe (1 1/2 cups) for chestnut flour, and took care not to overwork the dough.

pierino July 4, 2013

Glad to hear it worked out. The chestnut flour with the morels sounded like a good match to begin with.