What is the best recipe for ropa vieja/ carne mechada?

Ropa vieja is a Cuban dish, resembling old clothes, braised shredded flank steak with a number of vegetables. Carne mechada is the Venezuelan equivalent. I have found several sources for the recipe but not sure what is best.

asked by GIOVANNI50 over 5 years ago

GIOVANNI50

Did this question stump my fave chefs on the net?

I've only tried those dishes in restaurants but made this recipe from the site: http://food52.com/recipes...

GIOVANNI50

Thanks. But ropa vieja is not the same as vaca frita. Thanks for trying to answer.

Giovanni, first I would be fibbing if I said that I was an expert on this but I do have some familiarity with Cubano/Puerto Rican cooking. Yes, Roba Vieja literally means "old clothes". I think you could also use brisket for this---something that will break down during braising.
First make a soffrito; onions, peppers, LOTS of chopped garlic, cilantro and tomatoes. Give the meat a dry rub with salt, ground cumin, onion powder, black pepper. Add to the soffrito along with stock. Braise away. I hope this works because I don't Google recipes. That's just an annoying distraction from real cooking. Keep in mind that cubano/puerto rican style does use lot's of garlic.

GIOVANNI50

Grazie Pierino.

PG Bakery

Ropa Vieja is a dish that is both beautiful and delicious.

This is an excellent recipe, looks spot on. https://food52.com/recipes...