🔕 🔔

how much salt should I put to a 3 pound chicken

How much salt should I put to a 3 pound chicken?

asked by Tammmy67 over 4 years ago

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

If you're roasting the chicken, you'll probably want about 1 tablespoon of salt. Generously sprinkle salt over the chicken skin (and inside the cavity) so that it's uniformly distributed. When the chicken comes out of the oven, the salt will have helped create a crisp, flavorful skin (and you'll still be able to see the salt baked onto the skin).

One note of caution: Depends if it is kosher/sea salt flakes or plain iodized. In my experience 1 tbsp plain ~ 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 tbsp kosher/sea salt.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I don't cook with salt, after the chicken is done and carved and plated, I sprinkle with a bit of sea salt as a top-dressing.

I love to well salt it with kosher salt, as in this Thomas Keller method. Well salt the interior, and use about 1 Tbsp on the outside.
http://www.epicurious.com...