how much salt should I put to a 3 pound chicken

How much salt should I put to a 3 pound chicken?

asked by Tammmy67 over 5 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

If you're roasting the chicken, you'll probably want about 1 tablespoon of salt. Generously sprinkle salt over the chicken skin (and inside the cavity) so that it's uniformly distributed. When the chicken comes out of the oven, the salt will have helped create a crisp, flavorful skin (and you'll still be able to see the salt baked onto the skin).

GIOVANNI50

One note of caution: Depends if it is kosher/sea salt flakes or plain iodized. In my experience 1 tbsp plain ~ 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 tbsp kosher/sea salt.

bigpan

I don't cook with salt, after the chicken is done and carved and plated, I sprinkle with a bit of sea salt as a top-dressing.

nutcakes

I love to well salt it with kosher salt, as in this Thomas Keller method. Well salt the interior, and use about 1 Tbsp on the outside.
http://www.epicurious.com...