Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

flatbread in the oven

I am a total novice baker, and, inspired by the arrival of my first CSA box, I would like to try making my own flatbread as a base for some of the goodies in the basket. I'd like to bake it in the oven on a pizza stone (I know grilling is delicious, but for a variety of reasons the oven is more convenient for me right now). I have found a number of recipes, but one thing I'm not quite clear on: I am wondering if I should par bake the dough before adding raw toppings or if it can all be assembled raw and cooked at one time, as I've done with raw pizza dough I've bought at TJs. Toppings, in case it's relevant, include thin-sliced summer squash, mozzarella, and maybe a little red onion.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

82bc15be d3cf 410a 9b82 665e7b26bd26  1081
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

If you want your veggies a little more charred, add them before baking the crust.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I definitely like my veggies deeply caramelized, so that's what I'll do, then. Thanks!

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I make flat breads in the oven all the time. I like to broil thinly sliced summer squash brushed with a thin coat of olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. Lay the pieces on the raw dough with the mozzarella and raw red onions. For a different flavor you might saute' the red onions in a bit of oil on the stove top with salt and freshly cracked pepper.

9c8f3f94 fb40 4a0c 9bce e3832197fc9d  image

I make flatbread every week from discarded sourdough starter which I feed every week. The flatbread comes out the best at the highest possible temperature. I like to throw it on the grill at 500 F or hotter with some cooking spray or olive oil, and about a min on each side. If you make it in the oven, try to get it at least the same temperature with the shelf raised on the pizza stone/steel.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

OK, I'm understanding that the dough cooks quicker than the toppings (at least at high temps), so I may have gotten it backwards. It sounds like if I want fully cooked veg toppings I should par cook THEM (as Stephanie and Trena suggested) and not the dough, before topping the raw dough with them. Thanks, I am always a little intimidated by baking and I appreciate the tips!