A question about a recipe: Creamy Homemade Ricotta

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Homemade Ricotta" from Jennifer Perillo. is it possible to make it with reduced fat milk (thats all we buy) rather than full fat milk?

Ceae82cb 9a13 4f32 89db 3f3a2d07395a  food52 01 10 12 6879
Recipe question for: Creamy Homemade Ricotta

HalfPint July 8, 2013

Yes, you can, but it will not be as rich and creamy. And I'm assuming you will be including the cream. You can still make the ricotta with just the milk, but it will be dry and coarse.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich July 8, 2013

I make a ricotta cheese using whole milk, kosher salt, and lemon juice. Bring a 1/2 gallon whole milk and 1 tsp. kosher salt to a boil over medium heat, stir frequently. When it begins to boil, quickly turn heat to low and add 3 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice. Stir for 2 minutes while the curds form. Strain in a colander with cheesecloth. This makes very good ricotta cheese with no cream for those of us who are on diets low in saturated fat. Enjoy!