🔕 🔔

Healthy Substitute Suggestions for Chamomile Cupcake Recipe?

I want to try this Chamomile/Lemon Cupcake recipe with Honey Buttercream Frosting (put URL below), but am looking to create a slimmed-down, healthier version. Do you have suggestions for substitutes or alterations that you could give me for this specific recipe, with measurements and all? Any help would be much appreciated!

http://food52.com/recipes...

asked by Jo G. over 3 years ago

I'm not up to figuring all that out, sorry. But I'd keep the buttercream make 1/2 batch and just use a modest amount. Otherwise, if you really want to cut the indulgence, just dust with powdered sugar when cooled.

A healthy slimmer's version would be an altogether different recipe. My advice would be to make these either smaller cupcakes or eat less of them. Baking is not a place where you can easily switch out ingredients and have good results. Cake itself isn't fat-dense, like a brownie or a cookie. You might cut a few calories if you use a lowfat frosting like a 7-minute frosting which is basically sugar and egg whites. Here's a recipe that does not require corn syrup, http://www.foodnetwork...
You still have the sugar, but there's almost no fat in this frosting.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I'm confused. I don't see any unhealthful ingredients in the recipe -- butter, sugar, flour, milk, eggs -- all good, nutritious foods. And quite tasty I'm sure. Grammar aside, what's the issue? If it's calories, nutcakes has the right idea. Half a batch = half the calories with all the flavor. Or share them at work. Or invite a few friends over. Stressing out over a treat now and then diminishes all the joy…

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Please note I have not tried what I am about to suggest, but you could try substituting 1/3 cup canola oil for 1/2 cup of the butter in the cake recipe if saturated fats are a concern. I use that substitution often when making cookies.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Well, while the abovementioned suggestions to - eat less of the higher-fat/sugar version make perfect sense in a perfect world, limiting fat/sugar intake is not so easy for everyone. We don't know the reasons behind the question, but sometimes those reasons can be quite complex, and IMHO also worthy of respect. While limiting fat/sugar might not be a difficult issue for me personally, I still believe that everyone should be able to work out their diet in their own way. Sadly, I'm not much of a baker so I don't really have an answer to the question; I just wrote in to say that I think that I think it's a valid question.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Now I think i sounded like i'made the assumption that Jo can't limit her fat or sugar intake, which is not what I meant to do! I was just making an argument for the validity of the question! Ok, I'm done now...

I'm not an expert on subbing in baking either, but an easy way to cut calories is to get rid of the frosting, as halfpint suggests. If you don't want to get rid of it entirely or sub a 7 min frosting, you might try making a cream cheese frosting using light cream cheese. Still, won't be low fat.

9c8f3f94 fb40 4a0c 9bce e3832197fc9d  image

Hi,
I would attempt with cutting the 2 sticks of butter to one stick, and 1/2C of apple sauce. Reduce sugar to 1/2 C and use whole wheat flour instead of white. You can also substitute the 1/2C of milk with almond milk, but that's not going to make much of a difference because it's so little. As for the frosting, you can try a Greek yogurt frosting but it won't be nearly as good. Hope this helps.

You're reading way too much into the answers. Jo asked for "a slimmed-down, healthier" version. No answer was disrespectful. She was given other alternatives to cut down the calories. She was given an explanation as to why substitutions would not yield good results. I don't see the disrespect in suggesting less frosting or less cupcake. The basic message from almost all the posts is " Do not try to change the recipe". I think everyone tried in some way to let her have her cake ( pun intended) and make it healthier or slimmed down.

3e25057d f65d 41a8 b3b5 0ac810a9bf17  curry me

You can use a can of full-fat coconut milk. Make sure the full contents of your can are solid and super thick; if they aren't, you can empty contents into a bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight. Beat it and add honey, stevia, agave, or whatever you want. Even though coconut is high in fat, it is the good kind of fat that is much healthier than butter.