Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

how to store cheese in the frig?

should cheese be wrapped in plastic or paper before being refrigerated?

asked by cynthia over 3 years ago
4cc38b64 6692 42be 81f7 24b3e7bcda7f  img 2088

Keep cheese wrapped in preferably a cheese or wax paper but plastic wrap works well. If you use plastic, rewrap it every few days to prevent the moisture from being trapped inside. It's about a balance of keeping the air in the fridge from drying it out and the moisture from making it too gummy.

I use waxed paper or the paper my cheeses come in from the cheese shop. Plastic wrap is only good in the short term, and you can't always tell how long you might end up keeping the cheese. Some fridges have a cheese keeper drawer. Those are helpful too.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I also use Formaticum cheese paper. It's a little pricy (about $10 for a package of 15 sheets), so I sometimes give it as a gift.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I agree on the Formaticum; I thought at first it might just be an expensive gimmick, but since I always have cheese in my fridge, I tried it and it definitely improves the life of cheese under refrigeration!

We use Formaticum paper in our shop. Love it. they also have bags for people who don't want to do all the folding.

Cheese should not be wrapped in plastic wrap. The phthalate DEHP which experts beleive is harmful to humans is found in some brands of plastic wrap. Being fat-soluble, these chemicals are easily absorbed from plastic packaging materials and concentrate in high fat foods like cheese, Some countries have banned the wrapping of meat and cooked food in plastic wrap. Cheese paper is the best of all. Anyway, cheese wrapped in plastic always tastes inferior to that wrapped in cheese paper.