Tea kettle recommendations please, must whistle

We had a Chantal one that I bought because I loved the green color; one drawback was the all metal handle that required a potholder to pick it up. But it was pretty. And it had a three-part harmony whistle, a sound that someone couldn't hear when she forgot she was preparing tea. Then a bright red cheapie number that had black plastic components that eventually melted, preventing the spout cover from closing properly thus silencing the whistle.
So we need a new tea kettle. Working whistle is important as is a spout cover that won't melt. Under $50 would be awesome. Thank you!

Pegeen July 10, 2013

Is there any reason you don't want to get an electric kettle? I'd have to go Google if there are whistling electric kettles, but if you boil a lot of water or make tea a lot, they're worth the time-savings.

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna July 10, 2013

I could go electric but my husband is anti-electric. He likes the ritual he says. However I do not like the ritual of buying a new kettle every year...

Gabriella
Gabriella July 10, 2013

I saw this and it prompted me to check online. I know you said under 50 but these le creusets are on sale! http://www.crateandbarrel... In my house we use a simple stainless steel kettle that has a metal handle with a plastic grip like this http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-885905/OXO-Stainless-Steel-Tea-Kettle

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna July 10, 2013

Thank you! I might have to go to C&B and SLT tonight!

pierino July 10, 2013

Yes, I own a Le Creuset as well and I'm quite happy with it. I think I did buy mine at Sur la Table.

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna July 10, 2013

Pierino - you line yours? Does it whistle? Does the lid remove easily for occasional cleaning? Any drawbacks?

AntoniaJames July 10, 2013

SLT is the best. Really. You can open the pour spout with the same hand used to hold the handle, and it whistles. And the handle is insulated. And it's reasonably priced. And the colors are pretty. I have gone through quite a few tea kettles over the years, mostly because the whistles have stopped functioning and then a certain someone has put it on the stove and then gone off to HIS office, completely forgetting about it until someone notices an intense burning smell originating in the kitchen. We've had the SLT for quite a while with no problem. I like its size and shape, too. ;o)

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna July 10, 2013

AJ do you mean this one? http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-906560/

AntoniaJames July 10, 2013

Yes. I have the cobalt, by the way. It's my favorite kettle ever. I would buy one at twice the price tag shown. ;o)

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna July 11, 2013

Husband likes, I think we have a winner, thank you! We will probably go with green ;)

dymnyno
dymnyno July 10, 2013

I have an English "Simplex" that I have had for many years. It has a vibrant sounding whistle and a black wood handle. I don't remember the price but it has given me at least 20 years of daily service.( I think I bought it at Williams-Sonoma).

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna July 11, 2013

The Simplex kettles are gorgeous! Too pricey for us but maybe someday.

thebunalsorises
thebunalsorises July 11, 2013

I've had this one for years: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Uplift-Teakettle-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B00005Q5K4

The whistle is really nice, and not too shrill. The best thing is that when you lift up the handle, the spout cover pops up so that it's really easy to pour. Highly recommended by me and everyone else I know who uses one!

calendargirl
calendargirl July 11, 2013

I also have a Simplex and have had it forever. When you figure how long this piece of equipment lasts, it is a bargain. I know they are pricey (around $175 these days I think), but the whistle is loud and clear and you won't burn up this kettle. I suggest checking on eBay, I have seen them offered there, barely used, for half the retail price or less.

QueenSashy July 11, 2013

I have Le Creuset too, the larger model. It whistles, and I have no complaints. Had it for about five years.

mrslarkin July 11, 2013

I went electric about a year ago, after i destroyed my oldy but goody Revere kettle. Got the electric kettle costco carries. boils water in a flash. I think it was less than $30. love it.