What should we study for next month's Cookbook Club?

My cookbook club generally chooses books by geography (e.g. Mexico, Burma, Isarel) vs chef or cuisine. What are your favorite cookbooks with a regional focus? (Hoping to dig up some old treasures, so if your suggestion is pre-1990, all the better!)

• Posted by: Hallie
  • July 10, 2013

Monita July 10, 2013

How about the original Silver Palate Cookbook

Niknud
Niknud July 15, 2013

Love tLLove the Scandinavian potato salad recipe from the orignial Silver Palate Cookbook!

thebunalsorises
thebunalsorises July 12, 2013

Paula Wolfert's The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen, or any of Fuschia Dunlop's books are great!

spiffypaws
spiffypaws July 14, 2013

It's not pre-1990, but The Gift of Southern Cooking (Edna Lewis) is wonderful for regional, southern cooking.

dymnyno
dymnyno July 15, 2013

I love Indian cookbooks. Not only are the recipes great but the pictures are fantastic. I have "India" by Christine Mayfield and the Alford/Duguid books are perfect for the armchair traveler and gourmet.

Maedl July 16, 2013

Just found this at the library-- Levant: Recipes and Memories from the Middle East by Anissa Helou.

Pegeen July 16, 2013

For "vintage," any of the Time Life Books cookbook series would be fun, like "Foods of the World" but it might be difficult to find multiple copies for everyone in the group.

Pegeen July 17, 2013

The Kitchn.com, "Cookbook Colossi: Which Cookbooks Define the Last Decades of Cooking?"
http://www.thekitchn.com...

JadeTree
JadeTree July 17, 2013

What fun! Richard Olney's Simple French Food is brilliant and very unusual as a cookbook - often the recipes are narratives rather than bullet points. A classic. The Essential Mediterranean is neat also because it organizes itself by major ingredient and has my favorite recipe for a an orange olive oil cake! And finally if you really want classic, try The Charleston Receipts - its recipes span the first half of the 20th century and many households down here have a crumbling, much-thumbed copy on a shelf. It's whimsical but the shrimp dishes -!

pierino July 18, 2013

Olney is great! You do though, have to grasp what he means by "simple". Good topic for group discussion.

Judy
Judy July 17, 2013

Pre-1990 regional cuisine, Nantucket, Open-House Cookbook by Sarah Leah Chase.