Restaurant recommendations: Early dinner with kids in NYC after Broadway show

Hi - we're taking the kids to see a Broadway matinee show (2pm) at the Minskoff theatre. We'll be finished for 4.30/5.00pm and I'm thinking a nice dinner would be superb to round it off. Any recommendations for dinner - my kids eat very well and dont shy from new cuisines so suggestions much appreciated. Thanks

asked by Kitchen Butterfly almost 5 years ago

vvvanessa

Any particular area or neighborhood you want to stick to? I'm messaging you the list I put together for a friend who went to New York with her kid who eats everything, too. Have fun!

Kitchen Butterfly

Thanks VVV. Loved your list! Will take it one eat at a time!

You could try Carmine's home style Italian food. You don't need a reservation before 4PM but could try at 4:30. It's right in the Theatre district and the food is good. Kids love it there.

Becco is an Italian place (Lidia and Joe Bastianich) on 46th street that features all you can eat of excellent house-made pastas. Big and little kids love it. And all the wines are $25 a bottle.

Yes, Becco is great with kids - there's a prix fixe which includes an appetizer (choice of antipasto or something else, I forget) plus there are 3 pastas nightly - you can select any or all of them, have 'seconds,' etc. I think dessert is included too (can't recall.) A nice, but fairly informal, convivial atmosphere - kids definitely not out of place, and very convenient to B'way.

I also like Cafe Un Deux Trois--we started taking my daughter there when she was a toddler. http://www.cafeundeuxtrois...
Wow--you're coming back here with your kids?! Have fun! Travel well! XO

Kitchen Butterfly

Thanks :-) - we came back and its hectic!! We're currently in Niagara Falls but will be back in the city next week to take advantage of all this fabulous suggestions! Thank you all so much. Of course I'll have to visit again....cause travelling with a husband and 3 kids under 10 isnt giving me much time to myself :-).

JanetFL

I can highly recommend going with a girlfriend!

Trattoria dell' Arte at 7th and 57th is very good and only a short walk. It's opposite Carnegie Hall and gets a big dinner rush prior to curtain but it sounds like you could be there early enough to miss that.

JanetFL

I asked this same question a while back and did follow suggestions for both Becco and Carmine's. Both are convenient to the Theatre District and both were fabulous. If you try Becco, definitely go for the prix fixe - the pasta choices were all amazing!

It's been awhile since I've been to Becco but I remember it as being quite good. I will politely dissent on Carmine's which is your cliched Italian red sauce joint, not much better than Buca di Beppo.
I try to put as much distance as I can from the Times Square adjacent area the minute I get off the train or leave the theater.
Here's another suggestion; Cho Dang Gol between 6th and Broadway. It's actually down near Macy's, so a pretty easy walk. Korean cooking with 2 stars from the NY Times. 55 W.35th St.

I concur with Carnine's & Becco's. Delicious food, air conditioned and a great experience, IMHO. Also, with the kids & husband (God Bless g/f, lol) check out and shave snacks at the hi line - http://www.tripadvisor...

Have fun!

oops, don't shave the snacks, "have". As an ex-NYC girl the Hi Line was so amazing to me. Walking, discovering and experiencing NY in a way that wasn't so hectic, but quite exhilarating and educational.

The Hi Line is pretty damn cool. One of the best public spaces in NYC.

JanetFL

We did walk the Hi Line and it's just what sexyLAMBCHOPx and pierino have said. Wonderful experience!

Kitchen Butterfly

OK....Highline definitely on to do list this final week of play! Thank you ALL so much.

Pierino, thanks for the Cho Dang Gol suggestion. As I love Korean food (and David Chang btw :-)), I'll see if we can stop by. And sure, I know David Chang has nothing to do with Cho Dang Gol but he's korean.

Can you all find a way for me to come live in NYC?????? Any fountain where I can toss a bucket load of copper? Pray, tell!

Kitchen Butterfly

JanetFL

Thinking on it! Have fun!!!!!

Kitchen Butterfly

So we did Cho Dang Gol. The verdict was split. My husband, myself and daughter #1 LOVED it. Daughter #2 saved herself for the mains - rice and the meat (She is a RICE lover) and only son CRIED from the minute we walked in till the mains. REason being the pungent smells. He held his nose and didnt stop crying till our mains arrived. Which he LOVED btw - tender siloin, which he doused in soy sauce.

Moving on swiftly. I love the pancake starters and the dumplings (though the dumpling were nowhere as good as mine). What totally floored me were the condiments - sweet, spicy, peppery, pungent, slightly acidic.

The mains were great - we had the bbq selection: chicken and sirloin served with rice.

It was delicious. Thanks Pierino....now to work our way through the other good eats!

More importantly, did you like Lion King?? :)

Kitchen Butterfly, I'm glad to hear Cho Dang Gol worked for you but sorry if I made #1 Son cry. What makes it good for family dining is the array of traditional banshan that comes out before your entrees. I think it's one of the best deals in mid-town, especially at lunch time.

Kitchen Butterfly

We haven't been yet to see Lion King - we go Wednesday this week! But we're eating 'WELL' before :-)! Will report back on the performance and where we chose to dine eventually!