🔕 🔔

How to freeze figs?

I have a lot of perfectly ripe figs from the tree in my yard. I have eaten almost 2 pounds, but every day there are new ripe ones. Any suggestions? I don't want to make preserves right now. It's hot as h-e-l-l in SC right now.

asked by ENunn about 4 years ago

I expect to have the same abundance problem here soon - it looks like figs can be frozen but their texture suffers. Here's a link to the CA Fig Association web site that includes freezing instructions. http://californiafreshfigs...

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Hi ENunn! You might consider drying them. I found an article from livestrong that describes a method for sun-dried figs. Here's the link http://www.livestrong.com...

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Last year, I froze a bunch of figs simply by cutting them in half (they were very large--I can see freezing smaller figs whole), laying them in a single layer on a sheet pan, and freezing them, then transferring them to a zip-top bag. They froze incredibly well.